Motorists looking for a cheap alternative form of travel could save up to £2,000 each year if they opt for pedal power.
A spokesperson for the Environmental Transport Association (ETA), which provides an online car cost calculator said: “It is easy to underestimate the amount it costs to run a car, but running a bicycle is almost free and makes perfect sense for local journeys. Half of all journeys are less than 2 miles long, yet many of these trips are made by car.”
“The great thing about walking and cycling is that you can build it into your everyday routing – cycle to work, walk with the kids to school. That means you’re more likely to keep it up – travelling green and getting fit at the same time.”
- Cycling is a great way of getting and staying fit. It’s known as a low-impact activity, which means it doesn’t put a strain on your joints. If it’s been a while since you took exercise remember to take things easy, and if you suffer from a medical condition have a quick word with your doctor.
- It’s a practical way to keep fit. 75% all personal journeys are less than 5 miles long – that’s half an hour on a bike.
- Leaving your car at home and taking the bike is of benefit not only to your health butyour community; you’ll be helping to reduce noise and air pollution as well as traffic congestion
- It’s almost free. Bicycles can be very cheap to buy. They don’t need an MOT, insurance, fuel and can be parked almost anywhere for free.
- Riding a bike can help you maintain a healthy weight. Average cycling burns about 300 calories per hour.
Do I need cycle insurance?
The short answer is yes. Bikes are vulnerable to theft and in the case of an accident you may need to seek compensation or even deal with a claim by someone else. Cycle insurance from the ETA includes new-for-old replacement, third party insurance, personal accident cover and if you breakdown, they will even come out and recover you and your bike. More info
Breakdown cover for cyclists
The ETA is an ethical organisation providing cyclists with green breakdown cover and insurance. The ETA campaigns for sustainable transport – when you use our services below you help fund our charitable work.